- The Core
- Left Handed T3 Tying Base Pedestal
Left Handed T3 Tying Base Pedestal
SKU: FFT T3 BaseLeft
It all starts with the base pedestal: Precision milled (down to thousandths of an inch) from a solid piece of aerospace-grade bar stock aluminum, the T3 weighs a bit over three pounds - heavy enough to be stable, light enough to be portable. The name "T3" comes from it's finish - it has been Type 3 anodized, which is the most durable finish available. This one is made specifically for those who prefer to point the vise to the left.
- 6" x 6" x 1.25"
- Weighs 4 lb., 3.5 oz.
Other Features Include:
- There's no awkward "neck" to hold the vise stem. This is a huge benefit when you're packing your pedestal to travel.
- The mounting hole for the vise stem has been positioned for optimal stability. Placed slightly toward the tyer, and to the left side of the base (right side on the left-handed model), tyers can exert all the torque they need to when spinning deer hair or working with challenging synthetics - and the vise stays stable. We've even tied with a longer-shafted vise intended for use with a C-clamp, and the T3 still holds its ground. The 0.375" hole accommodates standard vise stems, and has also been tested with a European vise with a slightly smaller diameter stem - all with good results.
- There's a ruler at your fingertips. This allows you to measure the proper proportions of things like bucktail wings. Consistency is one of the hardest things to achieve as a new tyer, and having the right tools readily available is a huge benefit.
- The hackle gauge, Atlantic Salmon hook gauge, and rulers (inches and millimeters) are all laser-etched into the anodized finish. They won't smudge or wear off and they're always easy to locate - right on the base pedestal!
- The posts for the gauges are strategically positioned to serve as a spindle for spools of floss or tinsel. When you want to pre-stage your tying materials, you can simply place your spool on the post, draw your material out to the desired length on the ruler, and cut your materials to that length. This minimizes materials waste, and increases efficiency for production tyers.
- The 3" x 3" white sheet is magnetized, so it's an ideal place to set your hooks when you're tying flies in quantity. The magnet is strong enough to hold your hooks in place, but not so strong that you can't separate the hook from the sheet. The white finish also provides a high-contrast background so you can easily see small hooks.
- The barbell / bead basin is large enough to hold several beads or barbell weights, and is deep enough so that they don't fly out at the slightest touch. The basin shape allows you to easily pick up any object you place there.
- There are three holes for storage cups and three utility holes in the base. The three holes include a small diameter (seen above the hook gauge) for storing your bodkin, and two larger diameter holes for holding tools like whip finishers - or get more tool storage capacity with the T3 Tool Bar
- Four adhesive-backed silicone rubber feet are provided to protect your work surface; they are not pre-installed, in the event you prefer a different material (cork or felt, for example).